Insulating the Ship Hull

What is the problem? 
Vibration from, for example, the engine(s), drive, propeller (bow thruster) or an aggregate can be transferred to the ship's hull and cause noise problems from the front to the back of the vessel. The best solution is to tackle the source of these resonances, for example by placing the engine on dampers, but when this is not possible or sufficient, the ship's hull must be insulated, which we call anti-drumming.

What is the solution?
Free the ship's hull from rust, grease and dirt (paint/coating can remain). Then apply  Vibradamp A-90-P two component paste at least one and a half meters around the source in a ratio of 1:1:4. This ratio implies that for every 4 mm steel (thickness) you apply 1 mm paste and 1 mm Zincor steel plates. The Zincor steel plates function as counter plates and are pressed into the paste with mutual distance of 10 mm. The steel will vibrate significantly less, and the gong sound is greatly reduced.

Which products do I use and when?

  • Vibradamp A-90-P: in combination with Zincor steel plates on a ship's hull of 4 mm or more.
  • Vibraflex UF: Anti-drumming, steel thickness up to 3 mm.
  • Isomat TS14: Soundproofing the hull of a polyester boat.

Below you will find all described products for insulating the ship's hull


Sound insulation for yacht and shipbuilding
More information about insulating yachts, ships and sloops can be found on the overview page 'Sound isolation and absorption for boat and yacht'. 

The Acoustics Shop also supplies the larger yacht and shipbuilders. So if you are looking for absorption and insulation materials with a CE or IMO certification, please feel free contact with us.