Sound Insulation for Appliances & Machines

How to insulate and isolate machines
Devices like pump installations for an aquarium or a swimming pool, but also noisy compressors produce an uninterupted tone that is undesirable for the surroundings. The devices often switch on at undesired times, thereby causing nuisance. The surrounding environment is often left with airborne noise and/or indoor (or neighbouring) airborne and contact noise. Whatever product you use, always pay close attention to ventilation! Soundproofing machines and engines

What is the solution for airborne noise?
To isolate the noise of a device, it is necessary to place a housing over the device. A housing must meet three important requirements; mass, decoupling and ventilation. A good housing is made from heavy sheet material, for example multiplex weighted with Isomat TS. Mass = Insulation. Make the housing spacious inside, leaving enough space to equip it with absorption material. The requirements the absorption material has to meet, depend on the situation.

What is the solution for contact noise?

The vibrations or resonances coming from the device are isolated with Regufoam. This vibration isolation creates a seperation between the source and the floor on which it stands. It is not necessary to equip the entire floor area under the appliance with vibration isolation. For non-industrial equipment and machines, Regufoam parts of 100 x 100 x 25 mm usually suffice. The amount you need and the density depend on the weight and size of the device or machine. Regufoam with a thickness of 12 mm is used for machines such as a lathe (high speed) or when little space is available.

Acoustic sound absorbing products
You can use an acoustic absorption material without a top layer for clean and dry appliances. We recommend using Acousticcell, Merfocell PU or Flamex PU for devices that leak moisture or oil, in which case you shouldn't forget to tape the seams with PU Finishing Tape. Use Flamex FC  for appliances that produce high temperatures.

Industrial devices or complex machines
In some situations it is better to make a calculation to find out the appropriate way to isolate or insulate  machines. Please do not hesitate to contact us for advice on how to proceed.

On our tips page you will find the step-by-step plan device housing for making a housing. There is also a tips page for reducing an air conditioning and heat pump installation.

Products for insulating and soundproofing devices and machines


How to insulate appliances and machine
All the information you need about acoustic solutions in- and around your home you can find on our Tips & Tricks page. Need advise? Just let us know by sending an email.