On this tips page you will find various noise problems that can occur in campers and vehicles that are intended to be converted into a camper.

Sound Insulation for Motorhomes

On which vehicles does this page focus?

On this tips page you will find all kind of noise problems connected to campers and vehicles that are intended to be converted into a camper. So whether you have a Mercedes 608, Hymer, Volkswagen or a Mercedes Sprinter, all solutions and products described on this page can be applied to each vehicle.

Which solutions will I find here?

Noise problems in vehicles are especially desturbing on long journeys. To make the journey as comfortable as possible, we have indicated the main sources of noise in the image of the vehicle below. Further on you will read which products to apply where in order to achieve the best result.

Throughout this article you'll find solutions to sound problems including appropriate products. You can click on these products, which enables you to find them right away in our webshop. The solutions described here are against wind noise, driving noise, and engine noise. You will also find a product for thermal insulation.

Insulating wind noise

Wind can cause plate surfaces to vibrate whilst driving. By equipping plate surfaces in the vehicle with anti-drumming materials this will be greatly reduced. Plate surfaces include side panels, doors and the roof. In order to reduce the wind noise, use Vibraflex Normal on vertical surfaces (side panels and doors) and STP Blacksilver if the product has to be mounted upside down, against the roof for instance. STP Blacksilver can also be applied on the doors and side panels. Equip these parts of the bodywork  with the aforementioned products at least for 70% for optimal results.

Isolating driving noise

Driving noise is caused by rolling tires, wind noise and vibrations of the engine. Driving noise usually enters via the wheel arches, bottom plate and bulkhead. We recommend using an anti-drumming mat of ± 6 kg/m² or heavier, Vibraflex Extreme and STP Aerobomb are products that meet these requirements. Since the wheel arches and the bottom plate vibrate and carry sound, we recommend a coverage of 100% for the best result.

Thermal insulation

If the vehicle is well painted inside, you can also thermally insulate the walls and roof. Thermal insulation means creating a stagnant layer of air, for example behind the finishing of the walls and the roof. For this purpose, you can use the Akotherm Basic D20. The recommended thickness is at least 40 mm. The bottom plate can also be equipped with Agglomer D140 after the anti-drumming process. This 30 mm thick flake foam plate reduces the rise of cold and insulates driving sounds. On this foam layer you lay the wooden floor. Make sure that the floor doesn't touch the walls and the wheel arches, thereby reducing contact noise as well.

Engine noise dashboard

Especially the Hymer campers have a deep dashboard made of plastic that sometimes causes noise problems. The issue here is a lack of mass. Mount 8 kg/m² isomat TS on the dashboard using contact glue and cover it with fabric. Equip the bottom of the dashboard, on the engine side, with Merfocell GW. This is an absorption material with a glass cloth top layer.

Engine noise cab bonnet (hump)

In some vehicles, there is a bonnet in the cab as well, also called the "hump". If this cover is already quite heavy, you only need to equip the inside with an absorption material. Here too, we recommend using Merfocell GW. A relatively light cover in the cab can certainly be improved and insulated with Vibraflex Extreme. And when it is not too roundy, the cover can be equipped with Isomat VM for a nice finish and extra insulation.

Bonnet noise

Especially in buses and campers with a straight windscreen, engine noise can be more audible. You are, as it were, constantly driving into the sound. Equip the flat parts of the bonnet with STP Blacksilver, in order for it to be sufficiently insulated and cover it with an absorption material. Use Acusticab with a thickness of 19 mm for an optimal result. In this case, the chance that the material will hit the engine is the smallest.

Engine noise bulkhead

Detect sound leaks first, such as cable passages and other openings, which are sometimes found in older vehicles. Equip the bottom plate and the bulkhead at the driver and passenger seat for 100% with an anti-drumming material, such as Vibraflex Extreme or STP Aerobomb, both are suitable. The Isomat VM can be used for extra insulation and a beautiful finish.

Product choice and differences

We have already listed the best products to counter the various noise problems, but there are alternatives and differences:

  • Vibraflex /  STP: The biggest difference between these two products is that STP is easier to process. The result in terms of insulation will be similar. You'll find more information about STP Standartplast on our tips page.
  • Vibraflex in a box / Vibraflex UF: The large consumer can also use Vibraflex UF instead of Vibraflex Normal or Extreme in boxes. Vibraflex UF50 is equal to Vibraflex Normal and Vibraflex UF80 equal to Vibraflex Extreme. Please note that for Vibraflex UF there is a minimum purchase of 5 m² per type (!). Vibraflex UF is delivered to you per pallet (picking up yourself is also possible).
  • Merfocell GW / Acusticab: Merfocell GW and Acusticab are both absorption materials suitable for insulating the bonnet. The biggest difference between the two is the temperature resistance, on which the choice between both products depends. Merfocell GW is resistant up to 110 °C. Acusticab up to 80 °C.


Do you have any questions about this topic? Please feel free to contact us. More information about vehicle insulation can be found on our vehicles page.